Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Mass Prep Sunday February 10th 2019


Sunday February 10th 2019                               5th Sunday Ordinary Time (Cycle C)

What’s Your Story?

The tie in between today’s readings: Testimony

     One of the most effective means of evangelism is a testimony. Notable testimonies in the Bible, belong to the Apostle Paul (Acts 22:6-21), the Martyr Stephen (Acts 7: 1-53), and the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4:1-42). If you are a born again believer in Jesus Christ, you should have one too. Yes? No? Not Sure? Let’s do a little review about testimonies in order to create one of your own or strengthen the one you have.

     All personal testimonies have three elements: life before Jesus, how you met Jesus, and life now with Jesus. “Wait a minute,” you say, “I’m Catholic. We’re not like you Protestants. We come to Jesus through the sacraments.” Let me refer you to the article, Are Catholics Born Again? on Catholic Bridge, www.catholicbridge.com. It gives an explanation of the second conversion as described in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC 1428-1430) and Make aCommitment to Jesus. Read it and you’ll see that even the Pope is all about the “Come to Jesus Moment”. Christian testimonies vary as much as Ben And Jerry ice cream flavors. Some are dramatic accounts in which believers credit their conversion experience for taking them out of a life of drugs, alcohol, crime, and other sordid activities. Others are more plain vanilla, but equally significant. The thrust is to show how your encounter with the risen Lord has changed your life for the better here and now, and forever. Your testimony will also extend the same offer of forgiveness of sin in Christ to anyone who would want to come to Him. You see, all of mankind is travelling down the same sin highway to hell. There is a gospel off ramp up ahead. Your testimony is the road sign that guides people to the exit. It’s the story about Jesus and you...but mostly Jesus.

     Since three of today’s readings have a testimony in common, I’ve broken down their different experiences into a Q & A in order to help you to formulate a personal testimony of your own or perhaps, improve the one you have.

QUESTION #1 What was life like before Jesus? (Jehovah for Isaiah the Old Testament prophet)


APOSTLE PAUL
I persecuted the Church. I was a Pharisee of Pharisees.
ST. PETER
I was a hardworking and hard swearing fisherman trying to scratch out a living.

PROPHET ISAIAH
I hid behind my church mask, but did not reveal my true self to others. I was religious and constantly learning, but never coming to the truth.


QUESTION #2 What kept you from coming to Jesus?



APOSTLE PAUL
I didn’t need a “savior” I was self-righteous and blameless in keeping the Law. I did not believe His claims that he was the Messiah.
ST. PETER
I was too sinful for Jesus to be around me. Totally unworthy.

PROPHET ISAIAH
I did not want my sins to be found out. I went to church on Sunday and lived like the world during the week.

QUESTION #3 What changed your mind about Jesus?


APOSTLE PAUL
He revealed Himself to me on the road to Damascus.
ST. PETER
I believed that He was the Son of God when I saw the miraculous catch of fish.

PROPHET ISAIAH
God appeared to me on His throne in His Holiness. My righteousness was rags before Him. I was undone!

QUESTION #4 What made you choose Jesus over anyone else?



APOSTLE PAUL
How do you argue with a blinding light and a voice from Heaven? In reality, He chose me!

ST. PETER
I heard His words. I saw His deeds. My brother Andrew also testified that he was the Messiah.
PROPHET ISAIAH
The Holy Vision SHOOK ME UP!!!

QUESTION #5 What happened when you believed?


APOSTLE PAUL
I became a new man in Christ. My name was changed from Saul to Paul.
ST. PETER
My sins were forgiven and I was accepted into His family. I became an Apostle.

PROPHET ISAIAH
My mouth was touched with one of God’s burning altar coals and my sins were forgiven.

QUESTION #6 What surprised you or made you happiest about Jesus?



APOSTLE PAUL
My salvation is free and sure in Jesus. I don’t have to struggle to be good enough to merit heaven.

ST. PETER
I can face the future without fear because I have confidence in Christ in this world and for the next.
PROPHET ISAIAH
I am astonished that I am able to stand in the Holy presence of God!

QUESTION #7 What was your greatest joy in coming to Jesus?


APOSTLE PAUL
Forgiveness freely given!

ST. PETER
I am forgiven 70 x 7 times. My sin is removed as far as the east is from the west!
PROPHET ISAIAH
I am forgiven…not fried!

QUESTION #8 Name three benefits that you have received in Christ?


APOSTLE PAUL
I have a born again nature. I am a child of God, and I am heaven bound.

ST. PETER
I don’t swear like I used to. I have found brothers in Christ amongst the Gentiles. My experiences and failures help me to encourage others to be believers in Jesus.

PROPHET ISAIAH
I can serve God in this life. I have a purpose worth dying for. I have seen Jehovah high and lifted up!

QUESTION #9 What is your life like now that you have received Jesus?


APOSTLE PAUL
God made me an Apostle to the Gentiles.
ST. PETER
I am a fisher of men for Christ.
PROPHET ISAIAH
God commissioned me…me of all people, to be a prophet to Israel.

QUESTION #10 What would you tell your best friend about Jesus?


APOSTLE PAUL
Believe in the Lord, Jesus Christ and you will be saved!
ST. PETER
He is the Christ, the Son of the living God!
PROPHET ISAIAH
Though your sin may be scarlet, you can be white as snow!

QUESTION #11 What would you say about Jesus to someone on the fence?


APOSTLE PAUL
For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.
ST. PETER
He is the Way, The Truth, and The Life! There is salvation in no other name!
PORPHET ISAIAH
All is laid bare before Him. Confess your sin and repent before the Judgment!


     Now you have a template of sorts to build your testimony. I hope it helps you to express your Jesus story, not forgetting that your story is His story as well. Witness to others about the wonderful transformation that faith in Christ can bring. Do it in love to whomever and whenever the situation allows it. The whole Christian church throughout history, even to this day, is one big daisy chain of people reaching out to others with their personal gospel story about the saving power of Jesus and His cross. Our last reading today is Psalm 138. It offers up praise and thanksgiving to God for His loving-kindness, how appropriate. 

     PS:     I have also posted my testimony on the "Insights" portion of this blog for an example.




No comments:

Post a Comment